{{ getTotalHits() | thousandNumberSeperatorFilter }} resultater Filter
{{group.groupName}}

{{ group.groupName }}

Medlemmer: {{group.memberCount}}
Forside Forum Medlemmer Annoncer {{ group.itemMoreItems }}

Spar penge på din forsikring

Kommentarer på:  BMW e46 coupe
  • #1   18. jun 2013 Her er lidt på Engelsk..

What's good
    More comfortable and refined than E36 predecessor. Coupé arrived spring 1999, Touring autumn 1999 and Cabrio spring 2000. Improved suspension and steering from April 2001. Facelift Sept 2001, air-con standard across range, plus sharper steering and suspension for coupés. Facelifted 320d boosted to 150bhp. Improved warranty from Nov 2001. 316i saloon and Touring relaunched April 2002 with UK-built 1,796cc 115bhp Valvetronic. Coupé gets facelift early 2003. From Feb 2003, six-speed manual gearbox and dynamic stability control as standard. Sequential five-speed SMG box on 330CI from Feb 2003. M3 CSL from August 2003, with 360bhp and less weight. BMWs generally had below average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability Index. 1998-2000 petrol cars lowest for breakdowns and faults, average for problems; 2000-2003 average for breakdowns, problems and faults in 2003 Which? survey.

BMW E46 3-series (1998 to present)

What's bad
    Replacement due 2005. Heavier than E36, so uses more fuel. Thermostat problem with 318i and some six-cylinder models. Premature front suspension balljoint failure. Spate of snapping rear coil springs. Air-con fault can flatten battery if car left parked for two weeks. Turbo failure on 320d 150bhp.

What to watch out for
    Make sure electric radiator fan works – even if it does, a previous failure could mean head gasket trouble. Front suspension clonks mean balljoint or wishbone bush problems. Clonks from the rear mean a coil spring has snapped.

Recalls
    1999 (from April 1998): brake pedal can become disconnected; over-sensitive side airbag trigger. 15/12/1999 (Sept/Oct 1999 build): brake light switch may overheat. 1/8/2001 (1,659 cars built 1/2-18/5/2001): radiator fan motor fault could lead electrics to overload and motor to fail. 3/11/2000 (887 cars built 4/9-7/10/2000): inside rims of alloys damaged. 9/11/2001 (built 28/9-24/10/2001): cuts in Continental tyres.

And Now Everyone Else's Views, People That Actually Own The Cars

What should people look at before they buy an E46. List the common problems, and just the normal should dos. When we get a nice list, I'll get it consolidated and ask a mod to park it.

If you are buying a high mileage E46 ask if:
    -the water pump, tentioner, belts, and control arm bushings have been replaced. First three should be done by 80,000, second every 45-50,000.
    -Is the suspension still original?
    -Make sure all the windows go up and down as they should as does the sunroof. Window regulators tend to go out.
    -If you are buying an 01 330 be aware of the over boosted steering (it is soft)
    -Check all of the vin numbers on the panels to make sure they line up
    -Run your fingers along the sides of the panels (inside the door where the sticker is, the ledge where the fenders meet the trunk & hood.) If it feels like fine grain sandpaper, you have found overspray-- the car has been repainted. If you find overspray, tap your fingers on the panel that has been repainted. If it suddenly sounds different, you have found bondo
    -Check for rear subframe damage. It will be under the car, between the wheels and around the differential. a torn subframe looks like this:

01 325s have the boosted steering also. dont just have the specific 01 330

Inspect (plastic) fan blades on high mileage cars (>100K???). They've been known to come flying off (although I seem to recall hearing that this was more common on E36s). Example:

http://forums.bimmer....an blades hood

Inspect radiator expansion tank. It sometimes cracks and starts leaking.

Edit: Rough idling. I seem to recall that there's a TSB on replacing Bremi coils with Bosch, or something like that. Other causes may include bad sensors (camshaft, etc.), bad VANOS (bad news if it is), bad motor mounts, etc.
    Also, although you've touched upon these, you might want to emphasize:
    Sunroof clips. The sunroof shade should slide smoothly, without moving from side-to-side. Maybe you should also have a pointer to one of the sunroof shade DIYs (the same goes for the window regulators)?

You should also mention that the windows should not make any click/clack sounds when going up or down, as that is another sign of impending regulator death.

Coupe headliner trim (next to both doors). They're glued on and will often detach (you forgot to mention this -- people new to BMWs may not realize what you meant). Some info on how to use the 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive as a DIY would also be good.

Also:

Supposedly, E46 vehicles produced between March 1, 2003 and July 21. 2003 may have a problem where the battery can be quickly discharged when the car is not used for a couple of days. Basically, changing two or more air conditioning or heater settings in a single ignition cycle can result in 800mA being drawn when the car is off, which can drain a battery in a couple days or so. The service information bulletin on this is "SI B 61 11 03 October 2003" (I don't know if a newer one exists). Reference: post #2 of:

http://www.bimmerfes....=battery drain

Supposedly, some steptronic transmissions produced by GM between 2002(?)-2004(?) have a problem where, if the car has been sitting unused for 24 hours or more, the transmission can slip (car won't move) when the car is started, put into reverse, driven in reverse for a short distance, and then placed into drive. The slip time can be anywhere from a few seconds to up to around 40 seconds. Reference:

http://forum.bmwboar...read.php?t=8461

Not really related to buying an E46, but what about the CDV? Should that be mentioned?

E46s built between 2/2001 and 4/2001 could have a defective engine aux/cooling fan, which could result in overheating, smoldering of fan circuitry, and a possible fire. BMW should have notified affected owners of this.

Reference (note: original website appears to be dead -- the following is from the wayback machine):

http://web.archive.o...;/tech_tsb.html

Ah, here's the NHTSA bulletin:

http://www-odi.nhtsa....intVersion=YES

Here are some more interesting items. Fortunately, the number of affected cars seems to be fairly low. Note that this is NOT a complete list (sorry for the caps, but these are just cut-and-pasted from the NHTSA website):

2001 325i/330i. Potential Number Of Units Affected : 1914

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. THE MACHINE USED TO MOUNT AND INFLATE THE TIRES ON THE WHEELS AT THE ASSEMBLY PLANT MAY HAVE DAMAGED THE INNER RIM FLANGE OF THE WHEELS.

Consequence: THIS COULD LEAD TO A SUDDEN LOSS OF AIR FROM THE TIRE AFFECTING HANDLING AND VEHICLE CONTROL.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 00V383000

2002 325i/330i. Potential number of cars affected: 4672.

ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, DURING THE STRUT MOUNT MANUFACTURING PROCESS, THE THRUST BEARING WAS NOT PROPERLY POSITIONS AND SECURED. IF THE SUSPENSION IS FULLY UNLOADED, THE FRONT STRUT COULD SEPARATE FROM THE UPPER MOUNT.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 02V057000

2002 325xi. Potential number of cars affected: 799

ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, A PROBLEM IN THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS OF THE REAR BRAKE ROTORS MAY HAVE RESULTED IN THE CREATION OF A CRACK WHERE THE BRAKE DISC AND THE PARKING BRAKE DRUM MEET. FURTHER CRACKING OF THE ROTOR COULD OCCUR DUE TO BRAKING TORQUE WHEN THE VEHICLE IS DRIVEN AND THE BRAKES ARE APPLIED. THE BRAKE DRUM, CONNECTED TO THE WHEEL HUB, WOULD COMPLETELY SEPARATE FROM THE DISC.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 02V088000

2003 325i/325ci/330i. Potential Number Of Units Affected : 13100

ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE WINDOW LIFTING ANTI-PINCHING DEVICE MIGHT NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY.

Consequence: OCCUPANTS COULD BE PINCHED BY A WINDOW THAT IS BEING CLOSED.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V160000

2003 325i/325ci. Potential Number Of Units Affected : 1056

ON CERTAIN PASSENGER AND SPORT WAGON VEHICLES WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS, WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING, AND THE VEHICLE AT REST, AN INCREASE OF ENGINE IDLE SPEED (UP TO 1,300 RPM) MAY OCCUR.

Consequence: IF A GEAR IS SELECTED, THE DRIVER MAY FEEL AS IF THE VEHICLE IS BEING PUSHED.

Door handles...lol...check the door handles and see if they've been repaired, and by who. From what ive been searching for online (since mine had an issue late last week that has since been fixed) the door handles tend to have issues on some E46's.

Also, on the 01 330's and 3 series, the door opening gaskets tend to come loose.

This causes the gasket to hang from the top of the door opening and the rear of the door opening. This is a common problem and is more noticeable in southern climates. The door gasket is the piece of fuzzy trim material that goes around the inside of the entire door opening, except for the floor area.

It is replaceable through the dealer for about $200 dollars and easy to install, however, it's a very annoying problem and no good way to fix it, besides replacment.

1. Rear lower control arms! Why is it that every redneck tow truck driver has to hook J-hooks on these flimsy things?!, but seriously it happens a-LOT so look at em, it affects alignment

2. Modifications: let's face it BMW isn't perfect, but whoever decided before you that they knew more than the countless droves of anal-retentive engeneers that designed the car, is most likely an idiot. so make sure that all parts are original or "tastefully" modified and not Autozone Crap

3. Cam position sensors. They go bad... nuf said
    4. Ignition coils. okay these get tricky cause you can't really bust open the engine covers to check, but the original BREMI pencil coils are trash if they have the plastic bodies, the updated ones will have a metal shielding. YOU WILL GET MISSES EVENTUALLY WITH THE OLD BREMI'S

5. Service checklist. I'm a tech, so sue me, but there is nothing like having a car that a bunch of money ungr techs look over at every service. if the car has a long service list, the prior owner probably bought all the stuff too, which means less to worry about.

6. front lower control arm bushings. That annoying "clunk" you hear every time the brakes are applied is the sound of the Lower control arm bushings deteriorating, Trust me REPLACE THEM IF THEIR BAD, the consequences of letting them go too far are expensive.

7. right and left frontal underbody covers: every dits that has run over a parking lot bumper in a parking space risks tearing off these parts. they will house the exterior temp sensor and the heated washer nozzle temp sensor (the long skinny one is exterior temp) and if the Ext temp sensor is missing, guess what, you have no A/C.

8. Main Belt tensioner: this one get's tricky to explain. the regular mechanical tensioner is spring loaded to hold tension on the belt, the UPDATED tensioner is hydraulic and act's like a shock. the mechanical type will over time make a horrific howling noise.

9. Strut mount Pins: Okay this one is iffy. there are pins in the strut tower from the factory that require "punching out" before an alignment is performed, so if they are missing, the car MAY have been in a wreck, it is not sure fire, but it should raise your eyebrows if they are missing

10. Harsh 2-1 downshift: this is a software issue in the EGS(transmission) module, with a reprogramming from your local Bimmer dealer it can be easily fixed. note there MAY be other problems, this is just the quickest fix, and is not uncommon

11. Blown Cig lighter fuse. not huge, just to note BMW's official stance is that the Cigarette lighter is ONLY for the lighting of Cigarettes, and other devices like Cell phone charges may blow the fuse, and don't be an idiot, put the same damn size fuse back in the holdster, otherwise you fry the wiring

12. Seat belt tensioners: just a common problem that develops with age, it will cause the SRS light to come on

13. Sun roof shade. Okay, the shade comes apart due to the slide in the roof, so If you see the shade is a little loose BACK AWAY FROM THE CAR, this is an expensive customer pay job. if it is still warranty, your in the green, but you are looking in the thousands to do this job if it is coming from your own pocket

14. Various burnt bulbs and sockets. in the front turn signals the socket and bulb burns, it's 20-30 bucks to fix per side. nothing huge

15. Door seals on Coupe's. These seals are known for pealing off at the edges, they are farily expensive @ $200 for one seal not including labor, but it happens. so if your buying a coupe, get ready for this repair

16. Window Regualtors. One of the most predominant problems with bimmers. These regulators are a light weight design and break often. if you hear a tell-tale clicking in the window when moving up or down, it's gonna need a regualtor soon

This covers the most predominant concerns on an E46 that I have done so far. These cars are great when taken care of and a burden if left uncared for. hopefully this will aid you in purchasing that E46 of your dreams.

bulging strut towers. they're a weakpoint in the e46 engineering and could drastically effect the handling of the car, should they be compromised.

http://forums.bimmer....87&postcount=4

turner motorsports produces a reinforcement kit that i would strongly advise anyone to purchase... also, if your car did not come with a strut tower brace... i would make that your FIRST purchase/mod for the car.

All panels connecting to each other should be absolutely flush. If not the car may have been in a wreck. Also check for any small bubbles or loose paint on bumpers it may have been painted over after being hit.

Some of these problems are covered with a dealer-certified car and others are not. While the obvious is true (e.g., you must do oil changes or the warranty expires, the drive train is essentially covered but tires, brakes, belts, batteries, clutch are not) have them go over the fine PRINT with you. I emphasize PRINT because if they just tell you what's covered and what isn't, you won't get the whole story and if you did you probably couldn't retain all details. If instead, they SHOW you a written policy, you can go over it line by line, ask your questions, and generally get the right answers.

• #2   18. jun 2013 waow, gi jeg vil læse alle de her??

• #3   18. jun 2013 Så lad vær med at spørg om hjælp, hvis du ikke gider læse den du får..

• #4   18. jun 2013 Jeg tror godt nogen der kan gøre det lidt kortere og gerne på dansk. For jeg er ikke en der er rigtig gode til engelsk.

• #5   18. jun 2013 Du kan vel bruge google translate? Eller i det mindste sige tak for at en gider at søge din info for dig, og smide det herind i stedet for bare at være utaknemmelig som alle andre efterhånden er. Han har trods alt brugt sin tid på at hjælpe dig.

• #6   18. jun 2013 Virkelig dårlig stil Johnny...

Lars er kommet med virkelig godt læsestof, der beskriver alt ved en E46...

Og du kan ikke engang sige tak?
    Du har vel en mor/får/kæreste/kammerat der kan engelsk..

Og til dig Lars..
    Thumps up..
    Nød faktisk at læse det smiley

• #7   18. jun 2013 Må indrømme jeg lige pludselig også blev lidt skoletræt der Lars smiley

• #8   18. jun 2013 Hvis folk ikke vil bruge maks. 10 min på at læse om en bil de skal bruge 90-120000 Kr på, så køb en knallert..

• #9   18. jun 2013 det må i undskyld folkens, men det er ikke noget ondt mener. har slevf. læse lidt om det Lars har sendt. Men bare når man ser sådan en lang oplysning så får man jo allerede stor hoved, især når man ikke er en type som kan lide at læse.
    det er noget gode oplysninger her Lars har, bare jeg ikke så godt til at læse engelsk, og ja google translate oversætter jo ikke altid.
    men jeg må nok undskylde måske har jeg lige brugt forkert udtryk

• #10   18. jun 2013 Det går nok.. Jeg syntes heller ikke altid det er sjovt at smide en bil på en lift for at tjekke den inden jeg køber den - men det kan gavne mig og derfor gør jeg det.. Dovenskab er som regel grunden til fejl smiley

Held og lykke med et evt. køb..

Kommentér på:
BMW e46 coupe

Annonce